Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Wise Words - When Is Enough

When Is Enough? 
by Darlene Fredette

For a published author it’s very important to be active on social media. This avenue helps promote you and your books. You want to shout out the news about a new book, or share a snippet of a title from your back list. You hope your friends/followers will read, share, and spread the word to their friends...hoping this will create a new list of followers for you and your books.

I do my best on social media. I have a web site and blog where I announce new releases and share updates on my writing progress. I even post a photo every now and then, and host some of my writing friends. I’m active on Facebook with a personal account and an author page. I’m also on Twitter. I have Yahoo and Goodreads accounts, and several emails. I don’t post news on my social media sites every day, because by the time I check my email and the other sites, a few hours of my day are already lost.

There are other social media sites that I should be participating in, such as: Thunderclap, Bookbub, Triber, Instagram, Pinterest, Amazon, GooglePlus, LinkedIn, YouTube, and a new one Tsu (I’m not sure if I have that name right). AND I’m sure there are more sites than what I’ve listed.

If so much time is spent updating these social media sites, when are we writing? Sure, I’d like to pin my book covers on Pinterest, but I’m not going to stay up until one in the morning, or get up at five in the morning to write just because I’ve spent most of my day updating social media. Shouldn’t our main focus be finishing that current book or writing that new one?

So, when is enough?
Do we have to participate on all these sites to be known and sell our books?

Personally, I can’t keep up with social media. It’s gone well past my knowledge...and time. I’ve decided to stick with the sites I have and hope for the best.

I’d love to hear your thoughts!

AND, since I have your undivided attention, I’ll take this opportunity to share my latest release, Law of Attraction. It never hurts to slip in a promo when you can!


Law of Attraction
Sweet Contemporary Romance
Release Date: October 01, 2014
Publisher: The Wild Rose Press

Tagline: Determined to win back Christina, Steven will take the law into his own hands...even if he has to play dirty. 

Back Cover Blurb:
     Lawyer Christina Crawford has a successful career and stable financial future, but is it enough? Her world is disrupted when a routine divorce case means working with a man she never expected—or wanted—to see again. During their first meeting, she can't deny a connection still exists. Her head warns her to run, but her heart yearns to stay.
     Steven Mitchell is ruthless in the court room, but outside those doors, his easy charm, good looks and unlimited stream of female companions gives him an unscrupulous reputation. Six years ago Christina saw beyond his façade, but the emotions she evoked scared him and he pushed her away. Now he wants a second chance and he is determined to get her back...even if he has to play dirty.

Bio:
An avid reader since childhood, Darlene loved to put a pencil to paper and plot out stories of her own. She writes heartwarming contemporary romances with a focus on plot-driven page-turners. When Darlene isn’t writing, editing, or reading, she enjoys spending time with her husband, daughter, and Yellow Lab. 

Contact links:
Web Blog: http://findingthewritewords.blogspot.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DarleneLF
Twitter: https://twitter.com/DarleneLF

Purchase Links:
The Wild Rose Press: http://www.wildrosepublishing.com/maincatalog_v151/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=1186
Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Law-Attraction-Darlene-Fredette/dp/1628305363/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1412086550&sr=1-1&keywords=law+of+attraction+darlene+fredette

21 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more, there seems to be so much PRESSURE to be up to speed on social media that it certainly DOES eat away at writing time - not to mention the job that still supports and provides an income! Well written, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So hard to keep up with it all! The important part is striking a balance... One of these days I'm hoping I figure it out!

    Your book sounds great! Wishing you many sales.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess once we learn how to balance the pressure, we'll know the secret, lol!

    Thank you for stopping by Lori and Katie! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am fortunate I can devote about an hour a day to this. I write for four blogs. Yikes. So my regular writing time is slower, but that seems to work best for me. I am not a rush-rush writer. And blogging has let my essay writing grow to a good level. It's hard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Post Darlene: Glad I’m not the only one who feels overwhelmed by the social media circus. It is not only taking time away from our writing, but time away from all facets of our lives. I think writing time takes precedence, if you don’t have a good book to tout it won’t matter who you tell. I’ve read that twitter is not very effective, and don’t forget to set up an author’s page on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’ve found that setting up effective social media is a great time saver. I’ve linked my blog to my Amazon author page and my Goodreads author page. I’ve also linked my Twitter and Facebook feeds together. I know it’s lazy but I hope that anyone who follows me understands that I’m busy and don’t have much time.
    I used to post a history blog, normally about a famous historical personality, once a week but the research time was a killer, so I dropped that to once a month. Now I’m a host for Goddess Fish Promotions. There are many authors out there who need to promote their work and are happy to share their advice, experience and research with us. What do I get out of being a host? Everyone who visits my guests learns my name. That’s it. Does it work? I don’t know. I do know that I don’t expect this to work over night. It took Amazon seven years to turn a profit and be a success. Why should I be any different?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh and Pinterest is the easiest social media site. One post has the average life span of four months. That's a great bang for your buck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vicki, you write for four blogs?! That's awesome you've found a way to strengthen your writing.

    Gini, great minds think alike, lol. I've been meaning to get an author page set up, even my editor told me to do that, lol.

    Marlow, you're far more advanced than I am. I don't know how to link these sites together. Maybe someday I'll find the time to figure it all out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Writing for blogs does get your name in various places and I do a couple plus my own blog. Marlow, I have ignored my Pintrest account and your comment makes me think I need to throw some attention in that direction. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linda, I agree with blogging to get your name out there, especially with a new title release. Blog tours seem effective, but time consuming if you have several scheduled.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always recommend with picking at least 2 social media sites to begin with. I really focus on my blog and Facebook, but I also utilize Goodreads and Google+ which are easy and don't require that much maintenance. I definitely wouldn't try every social media site unless you're ready for it.

    I stay up-to-date on my Facebook page by scheduling a few posts to go up every week. This helps me to stay active while I'm writing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's difficult to stay on top of all the social media. It took me six months to find the balance after my first book was published, and there are days I still struggle. Now, I believe I have what works best for me. I tend to all the business in the early morning, check facebook (quickly), post some tweets--which are linked to Amazon and Goodreads. I blog about three+ times a week (Medieval Monday, Quote for the Week, Friday Feast, and hosting authors). Writing is the most important aspect of my day, so it's important I don't fall behind. Also, I've just started my Street Team with members as far away as England and Canada, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will help. Oh, I love Pinterest, but now I'm behind. Thanks so much for you post, Darlene. Wishing you all the best with your book, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great topic, I think all writers struggle with this all the time. I've found that you just have to say "no" at some point. I chose to do Facebook but not tweet. I'm on Pinterest but I don't have a blog site and so on. If you don't learn to say "no" to some social media, you will never have time to write.
    Definitely wise words.
    Hebby

    ReplyDelete
  14. My, it felt good to read all the comments and realize that you all were saying what I keep thinking. There are only so many hours in a day and squeezing social media postings between family and novel writing is tough. Thanks for making me feel I'm not alone

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had great intentions when I started my blog, but I found that writing posts for it took too much time and energy away from my actual novel writing.

    Now it sits dormant, but because it's a tab on my website, I hope its lack of updates is not so noticeable to visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I couldn't agree more and that is one of the issues I have because I just don't have time. I still have a day job, work nights editing and am a full time mom. This leaves little time for social media, yet, at the same time, I know it is important, especially in this age of technology. I do like some of the ideas being shared here so thanks for the blog Darlene!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with everything that's been said here. It's so hard to keep up with social media. I know I don't do a great job with social media, but I still have to leave time for writing.

    Congrats on the new release Darlene. Love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So many good comments it's hard to add anything to this discussion. I really enjoy interacting with people and social media activity isn't a burden for me. However, balance is hard to achieve. Unless it's a special event, I try to limit my media activity to 30 minutes 3-4 times a week. That plus writing and keeping up with my own blog is all I can handle.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Chrys, I'm with you on starting with two. I guess that means I'm already ahead of the game with blogging, Facebook, and Twitter, lol!

    Mary, you've peaked my curiosity. Isn't a street team time consuming? And how do you get people to join? Isn't a writing group just as effective?

    Hebby, best wise word so far is to say 'no'. Great advice!

    Judy, I'm so with you and surprisingly there are many others with us.

    Monica, we all have good intentions, as longs as those intentions are focused on writing new words, that's what matters.

    Stacy, you're awesome...winner of the Maple Seed Award!

    Jana, I guess balance is the key.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lynda, time limit is important. Now if I could just do a quick post on Facebook and Twitter without getting lost reading all the other posts. That's where my tie management needs control, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you to everyone who stopped by to leave a comment and to those of you who lingered to read.

    It's nice to know that I'm not the only one dealing with the Social Media struggle. Your comments have made me take a breath. We are human and will do what we can with what works for our own schedule.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete