Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Wise Words - Linking Social Media

Linking Social Media
by Marlow Kelly

I find it’s a great time saver to connect my social media accounts. To be honest, I’m not a social media guru so if you know a better way I’d love to hear it. 

Linking Facebook to your Twitter Account 
You can connect to Facebook using Twitter. That means every time you post on twitter it will also appear on your Facebook feed.
1. To do this go to your Twitter home page and click on your small photo / avatar in the top right hand corner.
2. From the drop down menu click settings
3. Select apps from the list on the left side.
4. Click on Facebook and just follow the instructions.
It’s pretty easy but you can find more help by clicking on the link below. https://support.twitter.com/articles/31113-using-twitter-with-facebook

A note about Facebook:
Facebook does not favor posts that come through twitter. Although posting this way is a time saver, less people will see your posts. For me this isn’t an issue, I use Facebook Groups for my personal book promotion. I recently experimented with two of these groups promoting a blog post from my website. The post reached two thousand, nine hundred and seventy-five people and I had over five hundred unique hits on my website in one day. I don’t believe it translated into sales and it’s easier to promote a post than sell a book, but it was certainly an eye opener for me. 

Here are a few of the groups I belong to: https://www.facebook.com/groups/romancereaders/ https://www.facebook.com/groups/ILoveHistoricalRomance/ https://www.facebook.com/groups/mfrwauthors/

Linking your blog to Amazon and Goodreads
I also link my blog to my Amazon author page and my Goodreads Author page. Both of these require the address for you RSS feed and finding that address was the hardest part. You need a feed reader downloaded on your computer. If you use Google Chrome or Safari you might need an app. To get the address you click on your RSS feed reader click to add the feed and it will show you the address.
For example my web address is www.marlowkelly.com
My RSS feed is feed://www.marlowkelly.com/1/feed
(If you know an easier way to find the feed address please share.)

Both Goodreads and Amazon work the same way. (Not surprising when you consider that they are owned by the same company.)

Goodreads
Go to your author page.
If you don’t have a Goodreads author page click on the link and follow the instructions:
https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/180-how-do-i-join-the-author-program

Go to your author dashboard and click View your blog.
It will provide you with an option to link to a pre-existing blog just follow the instructions. If you have any problems go to:
https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/241-how-do-i-start-a-blog-on-my-author-profile

Amazon
Amazon is even easier, go to your author page click on Add Blog and copy and paste your feed address onto the page.

Pinterest 
Plays well with others, should be Pinterest’s motto. This is by far the easiest site to use and takes the least amount of time.  There’s also the added bonus that a post on Pinterest has a long life span. But like all social media sites you need followers. People follow you and you follow them back. I started by following my fellow authors and went from there. My Pinterest stats tell me I’ve made over six hundred impressions in the last month. I don’t really know what they mean by an impression. But I’m assuming that’s means my posts appear on over six hundred feeds. If you’re going to do Pinterest as an author then I suggest you get a business account. If you need to open a business account, or convert your personal account to a business account here’s the link: https://business.pinterest.com/en

It’s important to link your blog to your Pinterest account. Then you can upload widgets to your blog. This gives more opportunities for cross promotion.
I always cross promote my author recipes to my Pinterest account. Why? Because all the moms I know look for recipes on the Internet, and most use Pinterest to do that.

In December, Author Darlene Fredette, you can find her at http://www.findingthewritewords.blogspot.ca, shared recipes featured in her book One Sweet Christmas. I cross promoted this recipe on Pinterest and got over one hundred unique hits. I do hope Darlene gained some sales from the post.

Once again, when I promote other authors I’m also getting my name out there so it’s familiar and hopefully that familiarity will encourage readers to take a chance on my work.

When you post a pin to one of your boards you will be given the option to share on Twitter and Facebook. This is another opportunity to share that promotion across your social media sites.

Lastly, do make boards. I started making boards for research purposes. I was trying to envision a different place and time and pictures helped me to do that. I didn’t find this time consuming; in fact, I did it one evening while my kids watched TV.

My final word is on Hootsuite and other social media decks. I haven’t found one that works for me. Maybe because it takes me longer to set up the tweet and Facebook posts than it does to copy and paste a post directly to Twitter, or Facebook, but as I said at the beginning of all this. It’s just my personal opinion. If you find a system that works for you please share it might work for others too.

Marlow Kelly

After being thrown out of England for refusing to drink tea, Marlow Kelly made her way to Canada where she found love, a home and a pug named Max. Encouraged by her husband, children and let’s not forget Max, she started putting her ideas to paper. Her need to write about strong women in crisis drives her stories and her curiosity regarding the lives and loves of historical figures are the inspiration for her characters. www.marlowkelly.com


A Woman of Love

When her dissolute husband insists that Lady Annabel Peters bed one of his villainous cohorts to repay a gambling debt, she is scandalized. But she is forced to agree because he controls every aspect of her life. 

A physically and emotionally crippled war hero, James Drake has retreated from society. At the request of his brother, he manipulates events so he can interrogate Annabel, a woman he thinks may be part of a ring of thieves. 

Neither of them count on an instant and overwhelming attraction. James may now believe Annabel but she suspects her husband plans to kill her. As one of her husband’s friends, James is not to be trusted. Yet how can she escape a man who has the ability to control her with a gentle kiss?

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Woman-Love-Honour-Courage-ebook/dp/B00TBV1XQE/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting me. I hope ideas help simplify your social media.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marlow, thank you for sharing your tips on how to link these sites together. I made lots of notes and will get some of these set up to help with time efficiency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Darlene. I'm glad to be of help.

      Delete
  3. I do some of what you describe but there's always more that can be done, isn't there? I like the idea of creating research boards on Pinterest. That would definitely help with mood and setting. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete