Wednesday, September 30, 2015

In The Spotlight with Linda Carroll-Bradd

A big welcome today to TransCRW member, Linda!

Tell us about yourself.
As a young girl, I spent lots of time lying on my bed reading about fascinating characters having exciting adventures in places far away and in other time periods. In later years, I discovered and devoured romances. At a certain point, I grew cocky enough to think I could write one of these stories. Twelve years later, my first fiction sale was achieved--a confession story. Married with 4 adult children and 2 granddaughters, I now write heartwarming contemporary and historical stories with a touch of humor and a bit of sass from my home in the southern California mountains.

Please share an enticing tag line of your current work with us. 
Divorcée Farah Mayhew is determined to make her own way, but will she relinquish control when charming Gil Fremont races to the rescue and sweeps into her life?

If your book were made into a movie, who would you want to play your main characters? 
Emma Stone because I love the balance of her vulnerability and her brazenness, and Chris Pine for his intensity.

How do you come up with the titles of your books? 
Titles are tough. If one didn’t come to me in the initial planning, then I have to wait. For most of them, I discover a nugget from a conversation or a character’s thought after I’ve started writing. I have to know what’s at stake.

What does your writing space look like? 
I write at a small computer desk in an alcove that’s between the top of the stairs and the end of the 2nd floor of the cabin. This space used to be an attic so the slanted ceilings are a bit over six feet in the center and slope down to four feet at the sides. A door in the wall at my back (that holds a bookcase) leads to the unfinished space over the maintenance shop where my husband works. A big rectangular window in the roof to my left gives me a view of the forest and sky. To my right are shelves built into the slant of the roof where supplies, research, and snacks are stored. Unfortunately, the surface is like an archeological dig site. I get involved in one project, stack a notebook or papers on the desk, and then get distracted by a different project and stack on more paper. There’s a calendar, a catalog so I can order dog name tags, the reservation printout for next month’s conference, a Swedish-English dictionary from 1901, an outline for the story I’m plotting in an online class, a timer (for writing sprints), a book of Hans Christian Andersen fairy tales, a synopsis for a novel I’m revising… See what I mean?

What do you enjoy doing when you’re not writing? 
Reading-for pleasure and for research, walking our two dogs, brainstorming new stories, watching movies. 

What books might we find on your bedside table?
Literally, these titles are sitting on my nightstand: Wife by Wednesday by Catherine Bybee, The Oregon Trail by Francis Parkman, The First Five Pages by Noah Lukeman, Westering Women and the Frontier Experience 1800-1915 by Sandra L. Myres, The Virgin’s Promise by Kim Hudson.

Fast Five 
What is your favorite color? 
Purple
What is your favorite season? 
Fall
What is your favorite movie?
Pride and Prejudice (any version)
What is your favorite song? 
Toss-up between It’s Your Love by Tim McGraw (featuring Faith Hill) and Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran.
What is your favorite comfort clothing attire? 
Yoga pants and T-shirts for spring and summer; sweatpants and thermal shirts for fall and winter.

Describe yourself in three words. 
Inquisitive, hard-working, loyal.

Anything But Flowers
Book 3 in Sugar & Spice Bakery series. 
Can Farrah overcome her distrust of charmers to see the honesty beneath Gil's smile?

Get to know more about Linda and her books:
www.lindacarroll-bradd.com

3 comments:

  1. Picturing Emma Stone and Chris Pine as your main characters makes me want to read this story even more! Your Sugar and Spice series sounds interesting and the covers are very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Linda: Your writing space sounds wonderful, any place with the word cabin in it intrigues me. Yes, your cover is very vibrant and eye-catching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have all the qualities a writer needs to have. Inquisitive - researching what needs to be known, Hardworking--never giving up on what you started, and Loyal to the task at hand and to commitments you have made to other writers to help and assist.

    ReplyDelete