Friday, December 18, 2015

Spending the Holidays with Denyse

1. Do you have a family Christmas tradition? 
Family tradition here used to be for us all to sit together on Christmas Eve and watch Scrooge/A Christmas Carol (1951 Alistar Sim version), we’d open one gift only. Christmas morning meant a nice breakfast together, then we’d retire to the Christmas Tree to open gifts together. When my dad passed away, and it was just me and mom, we’d do our gifts after Scrooge on Christmas Eve, since it was just the two of us. This will be my first year alone on Christmas Eve and Christmas morning, so it will be very strange.

2. What is your favorite Christmas memory? 
When my sister and I were very young, we used to love to sneak out to the tree in the middle of the night and just huddle there and try to guess what was in all the pretty boxes. We never got away with it for long before we were ordered back to bed, though. One year we heard mom in the bedroom, and the door was mostly closed, so we peeked in and she was sitting on the bed with Giggles (the doll my sister wanted desperately that year) sitting on her lap, and she was laughing with the doll as she made her giggle –we cherish that memory to this day.

3. What are you looking forward to about Christmas? 
I don’t know if I’m looking forward to Christmas much at all this year. My mom’s death in October took a lot of the magic out of Christmas, at least this year. Normally I love the warmth and kindness of this time of year, people are very giving for the most part.

4. Do you decorate the outside of your house at Christmas? 
Not usually. I decorate inside, though, and make sure there are lights sparkling in the windows, and wreaths on the doors.

5. What type of decorations do you put on your tree?
My tree is only three feet tall, and I love to put all the miniature ornaments I can find on the tree, and the finishing touch is little red bows on the branch tips–it creates an incredible look.

6. What are some of your favourite Christmas songs? 
Silver Bells was always one of my favourites, and I love Sleigh Bells, as well. I love most Christmas music, so I can have it on all day and never get tired of it.

7. What is your favourite Christmas movie? 
I guess that would be the Scrooge I mentioned above. I tend to watch Gone With The Wind at this time of year, too, though it has nothing to do with the holiday. 

8. What’s on your Christmas menu? 
I did a “Pre-Christmas” this weekend for my sister, her husband, and my mom’s best friend. Had a lovely roast, stuffing, veggies, and made a huge lemon meringue pie for dessert. I also did Pumpkin Spice muffins and Christmas Morning coffee. My sister will be doing the traditional turkey dinner on Christmas Eve.

Tell us a little about yourself. 
Canadian born and bred, and a lifelong dreamer, I began writing at an early age and can’t recall a time when I wasn’t creating in some artistic form. My life has had several on-going love affairs that shape much of what I write. In the past half dozen years, I’ve released books in all lengths and genres, and it’s something I hope to continue to do for many more years. A visit to my websites will show the diversity of what is currently available, as well as other surprises and extras!

http://www.denysebridger.com/
http://www.denysebridger.weebly.com/
http://www.fantasypages.ca/

     In the town of Favola, a prince and a lovely girl imprisoned by her mother's jealousy find passion and love... but will it be enough to outsmart the machinations and fury that their devotion inspires in the beautiful Bella Venezia? An Italian fairytale is re-told for an adult audience....

This short story was so much fun to write - I took an Italian fairytale, re-imagined it, added romance, and my own twists. It will be out soon in audio format, as well, and it's a fun one, so I hope readers enjoy it!! Denyse

http://www.amazon.com/Favola-Denyse-Bridger-ebook/dp/B013WXUVY6/

8 comments:

  1. Dear Denyse;

    Looking forward to reading Favola. The very words Italian fairy-tale have a nice ring to them. As I will be alone on Christmas too, I will be thinking of you and sending warm thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Gini. I've managed to get everything done, so it's just to sit back and wait for the year to wind to an end now. Favola was a really fun story to write, so I do hope you enjoy it!! I wrote it in the old-fashioned storyteller style, and I think it worked well for this particular story.

      Merry Christmas to you, and may the coming year be Blessed for you and yours!

      Always, Denyse

      Delete
  2. Denyse, your Christmas memories are lovely. Wishing you a Merry Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Darlene. Merry Christmas to you and your family, as well. Here's to a wonderful 2016!

      Delete
  3. I know how hard Christmas can be after a loss. My mom passed away two days before Christmas over 16 years ago. Each year, I've found the season a challenge because I miss her and even more, I miss saying those final "I love yous". She passed very quickly. Even though it's still a tough time, I'm finding that the sharpness of the pain is lessened each year. I look back to those happy moments and cherish them more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Melissa. Thank you for stopping by, much appreciated. I can only imagine how incredibly hard this holiday is for you every year. I keep telling myself she's still with me, watching over me, and I believe that's true, but it's not the same of course. You miss the hugs and the I love yous even more somehow... I hope your holiday is peaceful, blessed with love, and that the new year brings wonderful new things to you, dear lady. Hugs, Denyse

      Delete
  4. Big hugs for the change in your Christmas. My sister has to watch Scrooge every year, too. And an Italian fairy tale sounds so romantic LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Stacy!! As I mentioned to Gini, Favola was a really fun story to write, and I think the old-fashioned storyteller style worked well for this particular story. There might even be a sequel for the brother in the story, which will make a lot more sense to you if you've read it, obviously! *lol*

      Merry Christmas to you, and may the coming year be Blessed for you and yours!

      Cheers, Denyse

      Delete