Friday, January 29, 2016

In the Cafe with Denyse Bridger

Tell us a little about yourself.
Canadian born and bred, and a lifelong dreamer, I began writing at an early age and can’t recall a time when I wasn’t creating in some artistic form. My life has had several on-going love affairs that shape much of what I write. In the past half dozen years, I’ve released books in all lengths and genres, and it’s something I hope to continue to do for many more years. A visit to my websites will show the diversity of what is currently available, as well as other surprises and extras! 

Please share an enticing tag line of your current work with us.
On a dream trip to Italy, Jillian Light’s ordered and uneventful life is about to take a dramatic turn... After being attacked and left for dead, Jillian is rescued by a man who teaches her how to dream, and how to trust what her heart truly wants.

If your book were made into a movie, who would you want to play your main characters?
Well, if we’re talking about the current novel I’m waiting for word on, that’s an easy one as far as the hero goes, because he’s based on a real-life friend, singer Riccardo Foresi. As to who would play his love, Jillian, I have no idea! I rarely watch television or new movies, so I don’t know any of the current crop of actors and actresses.

How do you come up with the titles of your books?
Most of the time the title presents itself to me–and I find it very difficult to even begin writing if I don’t know the title, so that tends to come first and then the story builds from the idea the title has emerged from. The novel I talked about above was easy, it’s the name of one of Riccardo’s song, and fit the story perfectly.

What does your writing space look like?
A lot neater than it used to look. I have a small desk where my desktop computer is, and I still vastly prefer that to my laptop. The keyboard is so much more comfortable I find I write much faster. I have a portable desk for my laptop, so I do use it sometimes while I have the news on, or a DVD that I put in to keep me company. Something that doesn’t require my full attention. I find it easy to edit at the laptop if I’m half watching something, so it all works out, I guess.

What do you enjoy doing when you’re not writing?
At the moment, I’m catching up on all this stuff, interviews, blogs, etc. I also read every evening now, and that’s been so relaxing. I really love cozy mysteries, and Christmas romances, so I’m indulging in both just now. Lynn Cahoon’s Tourist Trap Mysteries are wonderful, and I have a few suspense tales from Elizabeth Goddard to get caught up with, as well, so lots of great stories waiting for me!

What books might we find on your bedside table?
Usually a notebook for ideas, and whatever novel I’m reading, currently that would be Rest Ye Murdered Gentlemen, a cozy by Vicky Delany. My Kobo is often on the bedside table, too.

Fast Five
What is your favourite color? Red or silver
What is your favourite season? Autumn
What is your favourite movie? Gone With The Wind and Casablanca (Impossible to choose just one of them!)
What is your favourite song? I Love The Way You Love Me
What is your favourite comfort clothing attire? Flowing skirt and silk blouse, or tanktop.

Describe yourself in three words.
Creative, generous, honest.

http://www.denysebridger.com/

The Gates of Infinity lead to a different world where passion and deception may yet destroy two universes about to collide. Will time continue to turn upon itself, or will the mirror of our world open the gate and return stranded pirates and their sorcerous consorts to familiar shores?

http://www.amazon.com/Gates-Infinity-Denyse-M-Bridger-ebook/dp/B00CT5S2RC/
http://www.lsbooks.com/the-gates-of-infinity-p567.php


6 comments:

  1. Lovely interview. It's a pleasure to get to know you better, Denyse. I share your habit of having a book's title even before you begin to actually write the story. For me, a title is as pivotal as a synopsis or outline. Best of success with your writing in 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting, and so fun to get a peek at how other authors live and write. I'm with you Denyse re: title first ususally. The Gates of Infinity sounds intriguing, gonna check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview. We're at opposite ends on the titling a book. Gates of Infinity sounds awesome.
    Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, everyone. I can't really start a book without a solid title, it might not always be the release title, but in my mind it always stays the title I originally gave it. We all write styles and stories as unique as we are, of course. Thanks again, folks! Hugs to all...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview, Denyse! I always love reading your stories! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love to know the habits and patterns of other writers!

    ReplyDelete