Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Creativity Comes in Many Forms

Creativity Comes in Many Forms
by Nancy Fraser

 As a writer, I’m always interested in how people express their creative gene. And, despite what some say, we all have one. It might be writing, but it could be music, art or...my favorite go to when my muse is asleep...cooking.

I’ve been on a soup kick lately. It’s not just the cold weather, although that’s definitely a factor. It’s also the art of making a great soup. Of taking a basic recipe and enhancing it in some way to make it even better.

I’ve been experimenting each week and being far more inventive than usual. The one conclusion I’ve drawn after nearly 12 weeks of soup making: if you start with good ingredients it’s almost impossible to make a bad soup.

The same principle applies to writing. If you start with a good idea, supplement the initial idea with a concise outline, and allow yourself the luxury of taking your time and experimenting, you can also come up with a great story. It’s all a matter of knowing when and how much to add to the mix.

I also enjoy mixing my two passions and often include a recipe or at least a dining scene (or two) in all of my books. In the past I’ve put together mini-cookbooks containing recipes of foods mentioned in my books and used them as promotional giveaways.

Today, I’d like to share one of my favorite recipes. It’s a knock off of Olive Garden’s Zuppa Toscana (aka Italian sausage soup).
Ingredients:
• 4 slices bacon, cooked and chopped (set aside)
• 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
• 1 lb spicy Italian sausages, sliced into ½ inch pieces
• 4-6 russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
• 32 oz chicken broth (do NOT use low sodium)
• 1 cup spinach, chopped
• 1 cup heavy cream (35%)
• 2 Tablespoons flour

Directions:
• Heat olive oil in large soup pot
• Add chopped onion and sausage, brown until cooked through
• Add minced garlic and stir for additional minute to incorporate flavor
• Add chicken broth and bring to boil
• Add potatoes and lower heat to medium and cook until potatoes are tender
• Mix flour into cream and whisk until smooth
• Add cream mixture, chopped bacon, and spinach to pot
• Turn down heat to med-low and simmer until soup thickens (5-7 minutes)

Now, sit back with a cup of delicious soup and a good book and relax. Your creative juices have earned a break. Please check out the fun tab on my website for additional recipes.

Stay warm (with soup), stay happy and, most importantly, stay well-read.

About Nancy
Like most authors, Nancy began writing at an early age, usually on the walls and with crayons or, heaven forbid, permanent markers. Her love of writing often made her the English teacher’s pet, which, of course, resulted in a whole lot of teasing. Still, it was worth it. Published in multiple genres, Nancy currently writes for four publishers. She has published twenty-two books in both full-length and novella format. Nancy will release her 25th book in 2016. She is currently working on her next Rock and Roll novella and two new erotic romance novellas. When not writing (which is almost never), Nancy dotes on her five wonderful grandchildren and looks forward to traveling and reading when time permits. Nancy lives in Atlantic Canada where she enjoys the relaxed pace and colorful people. www.nancyfraser.ca  http://nancyfraser.ca/wordpress/

Everyone expects Rebecca Winston to marry her high school/college sweetheart, Garrett Langley. The problem is, the flame’s gone out on their romance. They’re still best of friends, but only friends. When Garrett’s father has a heart attack, his older brother Wyatt (an L.A. attorney) returns home for the first time in years. The attraction between Rebecca and Wyatt is immediate. 

Can Rebecca expect her family and, especially, Garrett to understand that her desires have changed and turned toward Wyatt? 

Can Wyatt get past the feeling that he’s poaching his younger brother’s girl?

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Only-Yours-Candy-Hearts-Romance-ebook/dp/B019YI0YYA/
Kobo: https://store.kobobooks.com/en-ca/ebook/only-yours-5

7 comments:

  1. Two things truly elude me in the cooking world - good soup and making bread. (Yeast hates me!)

    Book sounds like a great read.
    Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Nancy: thank you for the recipe which I shall be trying as the snow is flying here too. Congratulations on reaching such an incredible milestone of 25 books published, wow. "Only Yours" sounds great, lots of emotional turmoil, and love the name Wyatt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Darlene, for organizing these posts. Thanks also to Victoria and Gini for your comments. Only Yours is set in my favorite time period, the 60's, and (in my opinion) actually reads like an old Harlequin romance. Not a bad thing, I suppose. Plus, since I grew up in the 60's I don't have to do a lot of research.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love soup so I'll have to try this tasty recipe. Would be perfect on a wintry-snow day like today. Congratulations on the new release, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband just let me know that I am supposed to prepare some kind of soup or stew for his work on Friday...but I don't make soup or stew LOL. Thank you so much for giving me what looks like a fairly easy and yummy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a believer in not being able to wreck homemade soup. Looks like a great recipe, and I also include food in my stories.

    ReplyDelete