Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Finding Inspiration

Finding Inspiration
by Colleen love

Hello Everyone!
I come to you today with a question: What inspires you, and why?

I don’t mean what makes you do what you have to do to survive and keeps the bills paid, that’s not always very fun. I am talking about, what makes you happy and what drives that force pushing you to fulfillment and happiness?

For me it has to be baking and cooking. Writing is first, yes, but sometimes when I need to sort out a scene, or think things through; my kitchen seems to be where I end up. Sometimes while waiting for bread sponge to proof, or cookies to bake, I will bring my writing into the kitchen. It always seems like a magic hide away where I can turn raw ingredients, thoughts and ideas into things I enjoy for myself, and ultimately my family. I find it funny that a beginning, middle and end doesn’t simply end on the page.
Another place of inspiration is the garden. It seems the garden is the escape from the house. A bright sunny day rescues me from endless home and hearth chores, to being out and seeing what is growing, in bloom or needs trimming. Of course there are always the “wild ones”, who need to be relocated to the weed pile over the fence, or to the hens who give me eggs in return. My hens are pets only. They know it and love to talk away, and come up for cuddles when it’s time to be tucked in.

So, I guess, the world around me is what inspires me and keeps me moving forward. Now you tell me, what brings inspiration and joy to your world?

If I were to come in person, I would have baked these soft, chewy oatmeal cookies that I like to have with coffee for “first breakfast”. Since I cannot do that, I will share the recipe.

Thank you for having me as a guest today! I hope you find Magic in your day!

Colleen’s First Breakfast Cookies
1 cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
2 cups quick-cooking oats
1 – 12 oz pkg white chocolate chips
1 cup dried cranberries
¾ cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cream together the butter, and sugars
Add eggs and vanilla, beat until smooth.
In a small bowl combine the dry ingredients and combine with the creamed mixture until a soft dough is formed.
Stir in oats, white chocolate chips, cranberries & nuts.
Drop by rounded tablespoons onto a lightly greased baking sheet, 2-inches apart.
Bake 9 – 11 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned.
Transfer to a wire rack, or waxed paper on the counter, to cool.

About Colleen
I have always lived in my own fantasy world, and writing has always been as natural as breathing. I have always loved Fantasy and Paranormal stories, so creating my own worlds comes very easy. I love to spend time with my family, in my kitchen baking and creating, in the garden, or with my menagerie of critters. We always seem to be busy exploring the wild wood around our home, or wandering the beaches. Life always seems to hold me under its enchantment. http://colleenlove.webs.com/
http://colleenslovenotes.blogspot.com/

I am happy to share my newest release with Evolutionary Publishing.
Erin Garret stands alone by the graveside of her grandfather. As the old paleontologist’s sole heir, he has left her everything, including a dangerous secret, a map and a warning. As she is swept up and into a world of treachery, she finds one man who earns her trust. But can he save her from greedy hands?

Andre Diego follows his fate beyond the Andes Mountains, earning his way through life as a soldier and agent. When his path crosses Erin’s, he finds more at stake than duty and it’s highly personal. His strength alone cannot carry them through. Before time runs out, they must work together to find the Blue Star, Estrella Azul. 

http://www.evolutionarypublishing.ca/2015/08/estrella-azul-blue-star-by-colleen-love.html

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Susanne! :)

      Delete
  2. HI Colleen: Grabbed your recipe it sounds yummy, as does your book. I too enjoy baking and the out of doors. Especially nice to get out after a long winter. concrats on the publication and great cover art.

    sorry about the prior delete, can't spell this morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and the kind comment! I hope you enjoy the cookies! :) It does feel good to get outside and play in the dirt.

      Delete
  3. Love your garden, Colleen! Great post, thank you for being our special guest today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for having me, Darlene. I love my garden too. :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you for having me, Darlene. I love my garden too. :)

      Delete
  4. Hey my dear Miss C - lovely to see you here, and yummy recipe, as always. Congrats on the new book(s) and much deserved success!! Hugs & Love, Denyse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, Denyse... Always the one to encourage me and never let me stop. Thank you for stopping by. I hope you enjoy the cookies too! :)

      Delete
    2. Aww, Denyse... Always the one to encourage me and never let me stop. Thank you for stopping by. I hope you enjoy the cookies too! :)

      Delete
  5. I really like your analogy between the raw ingredients of baking to gathering together the pieces for writing. The recipe looks yummy cuz oatmeal is my favorite cookie.

    ReplyDelete